Sense of Place
Golden continues to honor its Western gold-rush heritage while evolving as a destination for those seeking a new kind of rush: hiking, mountain biking, paragliding, and kayaking—right in the city. Thanks to the presence of engineering-focused Colorado School of Mines and close proximity to Denver, the town manages to honor its past while embracing a forward-thinking future.
Spot Us Here: Going for a heart-pounding run at North Table Mountain.
Shhhh… Best-Kept Secret: Mines Museum of Earth Science is home to two moon rocks collected during the Apollo 17 mission.
Claim to Fame: “Where the West Lives” — City of Golden slogan
Lay of the Land
The benefit of Golden’s geography is undeniable. It’s just 25 minutes outside of Denver, yet it enjoys close access to Colorado’s ski resorts and a nestled-in-the-mountains atmosphere—bookended by North and South Table Mountain mesas on one side and Mount Zion and Lookout Mountain on the other. Clear Creek flows right through historic downtown, whose “Folks! Welcome to Golden” sign arches over Washington Avenue.
What Locals Love to Do
- Learn and play at acclaimed local history museums like the Golden History Museum and Park, Colorado Railroad Museum and American Mountaineering Museum.
- Get a peek behind the scenes on a Coors Brewery tour.
- Dine and browse the small, independent businesses in historic downtown Golden along Washington Avenue.
- Watch paragliders gracefully float down from Lookout Mountain, a popular launch site.
- Mountain bike several renowned trail systems, from the scenic, climbs at North Table Mountain to the epic downhills at Apex Park.
- Uncover local lore and history at Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave.
- Go on a high-alpine hike or camping adventure in spectacular Golden Gate Canyon State Park, just 25 minutes away.
- Spot dinosaur tracks at Triceratops Trail, a gravel hiking trail minutes from downtown.
- Bike or stroll Clear Creek Trail under a lush canopy of mature trees—or opt for kayaking or fishing the creek.
Social Cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content you find interesting throughout the website through third-party social networking or other websites (including, potentially for advertising purposes related to social networking).