Sense of Place
We think it’s so telling that the hashtag #strongmont has taken off. It speaks to Longmont’s true sense of community—despite it growing by leaps and bounds in recent years to become the diverse, creative city it is today. Fueled by growth in digital innovation, the city has a work-play ethic befitting a location surrounded by open spaces and a short drive to the mountains.
Spot Us Here: Spending a day at Sunflower Farm, a rural wonderland for families.
Shhhh… Best-Kept Secret: The Cheese Importers feels like a trip to Paris, with two stories of French-inspired gifts; a huge, walk-in cheese cooler; and a French bistro for dining.
Claim to Fame: No. 1 Boomtown in America — Smart Asset
Lay of the Land
While only about 45 minutes north of Denver, Longmont is very much its own city, with a thriving downtown and sprawling geography that encompasses a variety of neighborhoods, ranging from brand-new to historic. From nearly all of them, Longs Peak (one of Colorado’s tallest) is ever-present on the horizon. Add to that an abundance of large city parks and reservoirs like Union Reservoir, McIntosh Lake and Golden Ponds, and you’ve got a recipe that’s ripe for recreation.
What Locals Love to Do
- Exploring downtown, a Certified Colorado Creative District, with eateries, breweries, galleries, music shops, theaters, and boutiques.
- Sip and savor libations from big-name breweries like Oskar Blues and Left Hand Brewing Co. or tucked-away distillery tasting rooms and cideries.
- Shop the lively and colorful Longmont Farmers Market and a year-round calendar of events at the Boulder County Fairgrounds.
- Mountain bike three major open spaces and pedal around more modest terrain on paths all over town.
- Take the leap with Mile-Hi Skydiving Center at Vance Brand Municipal Airport, a Colorado hot-spot for skydiving. Or keep your feet planted firmly on the ground at Golden Ponds, and watch paragliders float down in droves.
- Visit one of dozens of farms for farm-stand goods, apple-picking and animal visits, or the Agricultural Heritage Center for enthralling, kid-driven, interactive exhibits.
- Embrace your inner cheese lover at the Art of Cheese cheesemaking school, Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy, or Cheese Importers.
- Spend a day exploring Saint Vrain State Park, an oasis on the plains that’s amazingly close and perfect for camping, fishing, photography, and birding.
Social Cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content you find interesting throughout the website through third-party social networking or other websites (including, potentially for advertising purposes related to social networking).