Warm and down-to-earth with a burgeoning downtown and acres of enviable open space, Lafayette’s
a current darling of the “L Towns” surrounding Boulder (Louisville, Longmont, Lyons and Lafayette). Its impressive public art program speaks to the passionate, innovative community that calls Lafayette home.
Shhhh… Best-Kept Secret
, an off-radar hilltop cidery, and restaurant with views is the place to clink glasses at sunset, with a cider slushie in hand.
Claim to Fame: Colorado’s first Bird City the USA, thanks to lush parkland and conservation programs
Lay of the Land
No longer just a ‘burb, Lafayette is only 20 minutes from Boulder yet has a personality all its own, thanks to a vibrant, developing downtown. Mountain views are ubiquitous and are especially astonishing when reflected in scenic and central Waneka Lake
. Another treasured natural resource, Coal Creek
, runs through the south side of town, bordered by popular biking and walking trail. The town is surrounded by fertile farmland and working ranches.
What Locals Love to Do
- Spend a day shopping, dining, coffee-sipping, antiquing, and flea market pickin’ on South Public Road (Lafayette’s downtown main street), whose sidewalks are lined with ever-changing public art.
- Discover craft beer, coffee, theater, and pilates on East Simpson Road, a hidden-gem offshoot from downtown.
- Take a creative class or catch a performing arts production at the Arts Hub, or see the latest installation at The Collective Community Arts Center.
- Explore Waneka Lake by strolling the perimeter path, playing at the exceptional playground, birdwatching, or attending the Fourth of July fireworks event.
- Enjoy the shady canopy along Coal Creek Trail for cycling, running, walking, and kid-friendly exploration.
- Spend hours interacting with science exhibits at the Wow! Museum, favored by tiny tots.
- Dance to live music at Festival Plaza downtown, which hosts summertime art nights, a famous peach festival, and other community events.
- Sample goodies and stock up on produce at the weekly summer farmers’ market.